SPARK MAX is the newest member of the SPARK Motor Controller family. Building on the robust foundation of the original, SPARK MAX incorporates advanced brushed and brushless DC motor control in a small and easy-to-use package with PWM, CAN, and USB connectivity.
Never before has an FRC motor controller featured a built-in USB interface for configuration and control. Users can test prototypes and tune parameters without needing the full control system. SPARK MAX is a true all-in-one controller that will push the envelope for teams.
SPARK MAX Motor Controllers purchased after May 12, 2021 ship with the V2 versions of the SPARK MAX CAN Cable V2 (REV-11-1880).
All SPARK MAX Motor Controllers purchased on or after 11/18/2019 ship with version 1.4.0 firmware.
Please see the SPARK MAX Software Resources for the latest firmware and update instructions.
- Brushed and sensored-brushless motor control
- PWM, CAN*, and USB* control interfaces
- USB configuration and control
- USB type C connector
- Rapid configuration with a PC
- Save/load configurations
- Realistic prototyping using the actual control parameters
- Smart control modes
- Closed-loop control
- Follower mode
- Data port
- Analog input
- Limit switch input
- Quadrature encoder input with index
- Brushless DC sensor connector
- 3-phase hall sensors
- Motor temperature sensor
- Compatible with the following motors
- Brushless DC
- NEO Brushless Motor
- NEO 550 Brushless Motor
- Brushed DC
- CIM/Mini CIM Motors
- 775Pro/Redline Motors
- BAG Motor
- Virtually any 12V brushed DC motor**
*CAN and USB control is supported for the FRC roboRIO and REV Hardware Client. Other platforms are not currently supported.
**Check that motor specifications do not exceed the maximum electrical specification of the SPARM MAX.
- Input Voltage (nominal): 12V
- Operating Voltage Range: 5.5V - 24V
- Absolute Maximum Voltage: 30V
- Continuous Current: 60A
- Peak Current (2 second surge): 100A
- Dimensions: 70mm x 35mm x 25.5mm (2.756" x 1.378" x 1.004")
- Weight: 0.25lbs (113.3g)
- QTY 1 - SPARK MAX Motor Controller
- QTY 1 - USB-A male to USB-C cable
- QTY 1 - SPARK MAX CAN Cable V2 (REV-11-1880)
- QTY 1 - 4-pin JST to single PWM cable
- QTY 1 - Cable Retention clip
- QTY 1 - Port Saver cap
- SPARK MAX Getting Started Guide
- SPARK MAX User's Manual
- SPARK MAX Software Resources
- SPARK MAX Troubleshooting Guide
- SPARK MAX Software Roadmap on Trello