The REV Hub Interface is a beta piece of software which allows for direct connection to your REV Expansion Hub and its peripherals from your Windows PC.
This interface provides a method for teams to prototype with motors, servos, and sensors in a way that is faster and easier than setting up an entire robot control system. It is also a valuable troubleshooting tool that can help isolate the cause of an issue and determine if it is electrical or software related. The Expansion Hub firmware can also be updated/recovered through this interface in addition to the Robot Controller Application.
Latest Hub Interface Software - Version 1.2.0
- Operating System: Windows 7 or newer*
- Processor: 64-bit
- RAM: Yes
*The newest versions of Windows should automatically install the required USB drivers. Alternatively, you can download the latest drivers from the FTDI VCP website.
- Download the Hub Interface software installer above.
- Run the installer.
- Run the REV Hub Interface Software from the Windows Start Menu or the desktop shortcut.
Connecting and controlling an Expansion Hub
- Connect your Expansion Hub to the computer with a USB A to USB Mini-B cable.
- Run the REV Hub Interface Software.
- The software will scan and connect to the Expansion Hub. The various peripheral tabs will populate with controls once connected.
Please note: Some peripherals, such as DC Motors and Servo Motors, require a battery to be connected to the Expansion Hub in order to operate through the REV Hub Interface.
Alternative Installation Method
You may also download the following zip file if you would rather unzip the application in a directory of your choice. This method shouldn't require administrator privileges.
Latest Hub Interface Software Change Log - Version 1.2.0
- Display encoder values on 'DC motors' tab.
- Added support for REV Color Sensor V3.
- Display proximity values along with RGBC for REV color sensors.
- Display REV Hub Interface version on the 'Firmware' tab.
- Changed behavior of 'INIT' and 'POLL' buttons on 'I2C'. User can no longer poll a device until it has been successfully initialized.
- Added ability to set LED pattern.
- Bug fix where 'POLL' had to be pressed twice to read values from the IMU.
- Bug fix where status LED would continue to flash blue the second time REV Hub Interface is connected.
- Allow user to press enter key to update motor/servo values.
- Fixed gyro labels on IMU tab and corrected units for linear acceleration.
It is highly recommended that you update the firmware on your REV Expansion Hub to the latest version. New features require the latest FTC v5.3 SDK release.
Changes in Version 1.8.2
- Improved USB recovery in case of fault event (e.g. ESD fault)
- Improved DC motor output linearity
- Improved closed-loop control modes
- Improved I2C speeds
- Minor bug fixes
Firmware Update Instructions
There are two methods to update the Expansion Hub firmware: through the Robot Controller phone or using the REV Hub Interface Software.
Please Note: You may need to readdress and reconfigure your hub after updating the firmware.
Robot Controller Phone Method:
- Download the latest firmware binary file (.bin) using the link above.
- Connect the phone to the computer. It should show up as an attached drive.
- Navigate to the FIRST/updates/Expansion Hub Firmware directory on the phone.
- Copy the REVHubFirmware_X_YY_ZZ.bin file into that directory.
- Once copied, disconnect the phone from the computer and plug it back into the hub.
- Open the Robot Controller app and navigate to ... > Settings > Advanced Settings > Expansion Hub Firmware Update.
- You can now initiate the update. Do not unplug the phone until it is complete.
REV Hub Interface Method:
- Download and install the REV Hub Interface software.
- Connect your REV Expansion Hub to your computer with a USB A to mini B cable.
- Drivers should install automatically, but please wait for them to finish.
- Run the REV Hub Interface software.
- Click on the Firmware tab.
- Click "Choose .bin file" and open the "REVHubFirmware_1_08_02.bin" located in the same directory as the Hub Interface software or in the location that you saved the downloaded file.
- Click "Flash" and wait for the update to complete.
Previous Firmware Versions
These previous updates are listed for information only. It is highly recommended that you update your Expansion Hub to the latest firmware version.
- Fixes a bug where encoder counts would occasionally reset.
- Fixes a bug where some I2C sensors can lock up the bus causing other additional performance issues with the Expansion Hub.
- Added new status LED blink code:
- Blinking orange indicates the hub is only powered by the phone. In other words, turn on your main power switch!
- Other minor performance tweaks.
- Original Release
Control Hub OS - Version 1.0.1
It is highly recommended to keep your Control Hub Operating System (OS) up to date to the latest version. You can check the version of your Control Hub OS using the Driver Station user interface. Select the About menu in the Driver Station application and scroll to the ABOUT ROBOT CONTROLLER section. The version number is listed in this section under Operating System Version.
Latest Control Hub OS - Version 1.0.1
Latest Control Hub OS Change Log - Version 1.0.1
- Fixes Wi-Fi Access Point creation on first boot.
- Rejects Control Hub Updater requests while the updater is busy.
- Fixes Control Hub Updater crash after uninstalling an older version of the app with a different signature.
- Improves Control Hub Updater logging clarity.
- Adds ro.controlhub.os.versionnum property.
- Adds persist.chupdate.debuglogging property to enable/disable Control Hub Updater debug logging.
OS Update Instructions
Please follow the instructions on the FTC github page located here: Updating the Control Hub OS.